The then fellowship program initiated young people into social development, while support was extended to women and children affected by war and conflict. In 2006, ActionAid became a full fledged country programme with expectation to engage in people centric development work. AAA aimed to move from humanitarian response to long term engagement thereby initiating long term development in some of the remote and poverty stricken communities through child sponsorship programme. Today, ActionAid is working with over a hundred thousand people, supported by over 200 regular employees. Actionaid country office is located in Kabul with long term development initiatives established in provincial offices in Balkh, Jawzjan, Bamyan, Herat and Kabul.
ActionAid Afghanistan will predominantly invest in women’s rights as a contribution towards repairing the huge gender imbalance in power, structure, access, autonomy, and justice, concerns that are at the very root of women’s poverty.
The Afghanistan programme strategy focuses on four interwoven approaches such as women’s right, food security, child rights and governance.
Our Vision is a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life of dignity.
Our Mission is to work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice.
Our Core Values are:
- MUTUAL RESPECT, requiring us to recognise the innate worth of all people and the value of diversity.
- EQUITY AND JUSTICE, requiring us to work to ensure equal opportunity to everyone, irrespective of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, HIV status, colour, class, ethnicity, disability, location and religion.
- HONESTY AND TRANSPARENCY, being accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgments and communications with others.
- SOLIDARITY WITH THE POOR, powerless and excluded will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty.
- COURAGE OF CONVICTION, requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative – without fear of failure – in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes of poverty.
- INDEPENDENCE from any religious or party-political affiliation
- HUMILITY in our presentation and behavior, recognising that we are part of a wider alliance against poverty