ActionAid Community Leader (Position description)
Location: Where you live!
Deadline: 10th January
About this position:
Are you passionate about women’s rights and eliminating poverty? Do you want to engage and inspire your local community to take action against the people and systems that oppress women? Are you keen to learn how to campaign and organise to create change?
If yes, then this role is for you!
We’re building a connected, skilled, diverse and vibrant grassroots network that will stand in solidarity with the women we work with around the world, and take action to address the root causes of poverty and injustice through our campaigns.
We want you to be a part of it in 2017!
We’re recruiting leaders from across Australia to come together in February to talk about how we can build our grassroots network in Australia. You will lead and establish a community of volunteers that will campaign locally, for international impact for women’s rights. In February, together, we will work out the best way to build this movement.
You’ll be financially supported to come to Sydney and spend a weekend with ActionAid staff and supporters. You’ll be trained in community organising and ActionAid’s Human Rights Based Approach.
- Availability on the weekend of February 24-26 to come to Sydney and be part of a two day training and planning session.
- A demonstrated commitment to and passion for women’s rights.
- Experience as a volunteer for other organisations or movements.
- The ability to commit to supporting ActionAid projects in your community for at least 5 hours a month, for a minimum of 6 months.
- The ability to support the movement remotely, with a computer, mobile phone and access to the internet.
- A commitment to ActionAid’s values.
- A respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- A passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play in achieving a more equitable world.
What we will provide
- Your costs to attend a weekend training in Sydney, including flights, meals and shared accommodation.
- Training in community organising, campaign strategy and ActionAid’s Human Rights based approach.
- A connection with an international movement of supporters who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- A chance to be part of building ActionAid Australia’s presence and grassroots network from the very outset.
- The knowledge that you’re contributing to a fairer and more equitable world.
Women, People with a Disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTIQ and people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities are encouraged to apply.
Please note - even if you don’t match all the criteria, or can’t commit to this particular volunteer position, we still want to hear from you! We will be in a community near you soon and would love to meet you.
This is a voluntary position. ActionAid cannot provide any compensation for this position. We will reimburse pre-approved expenses.
For more information, you can call Dan on (02 9565 9122) or email email@example.com