The most remarkable successes have been securing improved access to quality education for children and adults, long term partnership with poor communities and support through child sponsorship, participatory and holistic approach at the grass root level, and our work to strengthen the capacities of the partner organizations.
ActionAid in Bangladesh
ActionAid Bangladesh always had a distinctive approach be it from the early days of simplicity to today’s complex nature of issues. ActionAid Bangladesh starting its journey from a very small with a minimalist approach today has become a relatively important player of the vibrant NGO movement that seeks to fight poverty in the country.
ActionAid came to Bangladesh in 1983 to support an orphanage in Bhola named 'For Those Who Have Less' (locally known as 'Bittohin'). Today ActionAid is committed to changing the capacities of people and groups whose rights have been denied and violated in attaining justice and a life of dignity.
ActionAid Bangladesh also assists efforts and builds capacities of actors of civil society and partner communities’ whom we believe are engaged in safeguarding and promoting people’s rights.
We constantly strive to accelerate support for anti–poverty initiatives and improve sustainability of development interventions that are inclined towards creating a confident and responsible nation, free from poverty and indignity.
- A world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life with dignity.
- To work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice.
- Mutual respect, requiring us to recognize the innate worth of all people and the value of diversity
- Equity and justice, requiring us to work to ensure equal opportunity to everyone, irrespective of race, age, sex, sexual orientation, HIV status, color, class, ethnicity, disability, location and religion.
- Honesty and transparency: being accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgements and communications with others
- Solidarity with the poor, powerless and excluded will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty
- Courage of conviction, requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative-without fear of failure-in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes or poverty
- Independence from any religious or party-political affiliation
- Humility in our presentation and behavior, recognizing that we are part of a wider alliance against poverty.