Tchien and Konobo are two of the statutory districts in Grand Gedeh county. Grand Gedeh county located in the southeast, is the third largest county in Liberia. Grand Gedeh is bounded on the northwest through the north by Nimba, on the northwest through the east by the Cavalla River forming the boundary with Cote d’Ivoire, on the south by River Gee County, and on the southwest by Sinoe County. The total land area of Grand Gedeh County is 10,276km", which is about 9.22% of the total land area of Liberia.
Grand Gedeh is one of the few leeward counties created in the 1960s. It was
established in 1964. Grand Gedeh was formerly known as the Eastern Province under the 1847 Constitution of Liberia. Its original capital was Tchien, now known as
Zwedru.The then Eastern Province comprised two districts, Webbo (now part of River Gee County) and Tchien. Today Grand Gedeh County is subdivided into 2 Statutory districts, eight 8 Administrative districts, 16 Chiefdoms, 32 Clans, 3 Cities, and 236 Towns. The County is noted for its rich iron ore reserves and vast forest, which are depicted in the flag of the County.