ActionAid South Africa was establised in May 2006 and is a part of ActionAid International, an anti-poverty agency working with poor people in over 40 countries. Our focus areas are:
Women’s and girls' rights; land and food rights; children and education; communities affected by mining; and international advocacy.
How we work
ActionAid works with poor communities to help develop their rights as well as non-governmental organisations.
We also work internationally to try and influence pro-poor policy processes to create an environment that helps the struggles of poor communities.
A world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life of dignity.
To work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice.
To see poor and excluded people and communities exercise their power to secure their rights.
To see women and girls exercise their power to secure their rights.
To see citizens across the world fight for their rights and against injustice.
To make states and their institutions accountable and democratic and promote, protect and fulfil the human rights of everyone.
- MUTUAL RESPECT: requiring us to recognise the innate worth of all people and values and diversity.
- EQUALITY AND JUSTICE: requiring us to work to ensure equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, HIV status, colour, class, ethnicity, disability, location and religion.
- HONESTY AND TRANSPARENCY: being accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgements and communications with others.
- SOLIDARITY: helping the poor, powerless and excluded will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty.
- COURAGE OF CONVICTION: requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative, without the fear of failure, in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes of poverty.
- INDEPENDENCE: from any religious or party –political affiliation.
- HUMILITY: in our presentation and behaviour, recognising that we are part of a wider fight against poverty.