ActionAid works with poor people in over 40 countries across the world. Our goal? To end poverty. We believe in doing things differently. We know that with the right opportunities, poor people will find their own solutions - and build new lives.
ActionAid International Uganda is a non-political, non-religious organisation that has been working in the country since the early eighties to end poverty and injustice.
We are part of the ActionAid global family, an anti-poverty agency working with the poorest communities in over 40 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America to end poverty and injustice.
We reach out to the poorest and most vulnerable people in Uganda to help them fight for and gain their rights to services such as food, shelter, work, education and healthcare and give them a voice in the decisions that affect their lives as part of our long-term commitment to work with the socially and economically disadvantaged.
ActionAid's work aims to do three things:
Empower people and communities to claim their right to a life of dignity.
Inspire and encourage citizens and civil society to act to counter poverty.
Influence and change policies and practices that exercise power and influence over poor and excluded people.
A world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life of dignity.
To work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty by overcoming injustice and the things that cause it.
We also have a number of values:
- Mutual respect: Recognising the innate dignity and worth of all people and the value of diversity.
- Fairness, equity and justice: Ensuring that everyone, regardless of sex, age, race, colour, class and religion, has equal opportunity for expression and for using their potential.
- Integrity: Honesty, transparency and accountability. We strive to be accountable for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgement and communications with others.
- Solidarity: Connecting with poor and excluded people. We try to do everything in the interests of the poor, excluded and marginalised.
- Courage of conviction: Being creative and radical without fear of failure, in pursuit of the highest possible impact on the causes of poverty.
- Humility: Recognising that we are part of a bigger fight against poverty and requiring our presentation and behaviour to be modest.
- Respect for the rights of women and children: We believe in deliberately strengthening the capacity of women to meet their basic needs and to improve on their position, and have a strong commitment to the rights of children.
- Independence: As an organisation we remain independent of any religious, party-politics or other partisan affiliation.
ActionAid operates around six rights-based themes, with Women‘s rights being the core focus.
ActionAid International Uganda has worked in Uganda since 1982 and was fully integrated with MS Uganda in 2010.
ActionAid International Uganda
Kampala Head Office
Tel: +256 392220002
P. O. Box 676 Kampala, Uganda
Kansanga Ggaba Road